Wednesday 19 October 2011

Dressing Rooms

For the past few weeks I've been house hunting, something I fast realised is one of my least favourite things to do. Just when it was getting to the point where I thought we'd be searching for months, miraculously, we had an offer accepted on a lovely place that I cannot wait to move into. It's a few weeks until we get the keys, so I'm biding my time by planning how I'm going to decorate the new space. Here are some ideas I've had.



{Black frames on white walls are so elegant, especially when aligned like these Getty images in a new gallery collection at John Lewis. From Sophia Loren to Paul Newman, I love how there's a story behind each picture. See below for what I'll be displaying in my own black frames}




{Francesca Waddell is my absolute favourite fashion illustrator. She draws for a number of magazines including Vogue and Tatler, and I plan on framing some of her prints for my walls}


{I've just discovered an amazing online party supplies shop called Paper Mash. Along with fun stationary and gift ideas, they stock this Joie de Vivre banner which I've just ordered. Seeing as I don't have a headboard, I plan to hang it on the wall above my bed- but not before spray painting it a less-obtrusive gold}
{Whether on a sofa or a bed, cushions are an easy way to add colour and texture to a room. These are a few designs that caught my eye in John Lewis and Heal's- the hypnotic black and white one is my favourite}
{Pretty lights such as these create a cosy vibe when the weather out side is blustery and cold. Folie garland (left) £35 and Bonsai (right) £30, both from Habitat}



{I think you're meant to use this Heal's gold milk carton as servewear, but I much prefer the idea of using it as a vase with a few long stemmed flowers inside}


{These concealed shelves - which are a bargain at £15 from Heal's - make books look as though they're floating, when in fact it's a fake book that serves as the shelf. As well as being a quirky design, it's a great talking point}

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the black & white photos + bookshelves. i think we both need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh how I do ADORE posts on home decorating - its one of my favourite things. If only I had an ending supply of money! I do love all your great ideas though and it seems you'll be making your house a home in no time :) I was SO curious as to what Joie De Vivre meant so I went and googled it and learnt it is to express a cheerful enjoyment of life; an exultation of spirit - what a beautiful little saying and a perfect place then to place it above your bed. You can remind yourself of that each morning and night.
    p.s I HAVE TO HAVE (capitals intended haha) those book shelves. They're incredible!!!

    Anna xo

    http://lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many cute things!

    Sidebysidedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to find an email address for you to email you but couldn't so am going to have to reply to you again here as I wanted to thank you MILLIONS for all your amazing travel suggestions. Honestly they are fantastic. My bf and I actually had no clue where we wanted to go yet in UK (very much wanna do it on a whim) but we have just officially added Cambridge to the list :) We are also already doing the South of France so added St Cyprien to our stop offs as it was on the way through to all our other stops. Your Italy suggestions were perfect too - we're doing the Amalfi coast and Florence but it got me excited to hear you suggest them as I felt we were on the right track haha. It seems you have some incredible travelling experience up your sleeves - how amazing. I'm following your blog now, love it if you followed mine so we could keep in touch!!

    Anna xo

    http://lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with those small book shelves!
    -Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many amazing picks in this post. Those shelves = perfection! In love

    www.thehappeningblog.com

    ReplyDelete